I am having a hard time believing it is November already! The leaves have turned, it’s finally getting a bit chilly, and I’m already thinking about our Thanksgiving menu. I have been trying to decide how to re-energize this blog, and want to start to do a monthly roundup of everything that has been going on. Going forward, I’ll aim to do this on the first-ish of the month (if it goes well!) but I figured, why not start now! Each month I’ll look back on some of my favorite things from the previous month, and share a few things I’m excited about in the upcoming month. Here we go!
- I am a terrible binge watcher. I usually watch between 2-4 episodes of a show right away, and then move on to something else, only to come back (this drives my husband crazy). I did this with Mindhunter on Netflix, which I am thoroughly enjoying, and need to finish this month.
- For me, October is all about the scary movies. I hosted a scary movie night on October 30th where we watched Halloween (1978) which made me incredibly happy.
- Other favorites from the month: Black-ish, Modern Family, Big Bang Theory, Will and Grace, American Horror Story: Cult, and Guy’s Grocery Games (yes, I love it).
- My absolute favorite book of the month was Braving the Wilderness by Brené Brown. Her framework for experiencing true belonging and finding courage is exceptional. Read this!
- Two other good non-fiction books I enjoyed were Why Buddhism is True and Are You Fully Charged?.
- I try to balance fiction with non-fiction, as I love a good story. I especially love a good mystery, and Magpie Murders delivered.
- October included a lot of travel for work. I spent a week in San Francisco for Echoing Green’s All Fellows Conference and SOCAP, and then a week in Atlanta for our ChangeUp conversation and the Net Impact conference. Both trips were hard work, fun, inspiring, and definitely got me excited for what’s next in the year ahead.
- I spent two weekends in Massachusetts – one was with my high school, Northfield Mount Hermon, where I spend a lot of time volunteering and we gathered for our annual leadership weekend. I feel so lucky to have such a fantastic group of people with a common love for the school and each other. The second weekend was focused on enjoying all things fall!
- In October I started a coaching course, where I am getting trained to use the PRINT tool, which helps uncover unconscious motivators, and is absolutely the best coaching/understanding yourself product I have experienced. I’m excited to share more soon!
- While I just listed a whole bunch of fun and exciting things, October was a tough month. The Las Vegas shooting was at the beginning; there were then the horrible wildfires in California; and at the very end, NYC experienced an act of terror. I continuously find myself needing to just stop, think, and fully acknowledge and experience the pain each of these bring. I find myself at risk of becoming desensitized, and I cannot let that happen, so I’m thinking about spending more time witnessing and trying to understand.
- I have been thinking a lot about the need for clean, uncluttered space. October was very busy, and I realized the need to have a space to come home to that allows me to experience hygge. I have Marie Kondo’s book sitting on my shelf, and I need to finally go through it!
- I have been thinking a lot about kindness, and what an underrated quality it is. What would the world look like if we were all a little bit more kind to each other, both family, friends, and strangers? Call me too optimistic, but I think there is so much power in simply being kind. This is a big one for me, so more on this later…
- Thanksgiving week! I’ll be taking the whole week off of work (something I need to do every few months for self-care), and enjoying time with family and friends.
- Doing yoga again. I finally got the green greenlight after my June surgery to do yoga. I went to my first class on Monday, and am looking forward to going at least a couple times per week to start.
- Christmas movies and music. I am a complete sucker for Hallmark Christmas movies and early-season Christmas music. I start with both on November 1st (I promise to never go earlier than that, like so many stores/networks do now), but I am unapologetic about my love to start the season early!
How was your October? What are you looking forward to in November? Please share, I would love to hear!